Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Void noise

I remember being in a car with my mother and siblings
Driving and the radio was on
My mother screamed at us
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
She shouted and we listened
The radio blathered on
My siblings and I tuned it out as if it was static on the radio
Void noise from which our ears would pick up
An empty station
Just as we were empty
Without knowledge of war
Without knowledge of tragedy
We sat in the car quiet as my mother veered off the road and stopped just as many others did
We heard as the buildings smashed into a fiery ball
Depictions of debris and people falling were retold
Over and over again
Over and over again
We heard something
In which
We should have cried
Wept for the others who had died
Yet we laughed and giggled like any other day
Too young to know of the horrors
Of an event too far outside our car
The station went dark and my mother gasped and turned
My siblings and I were laughing and playing

Our ears closed off from the empty station playing void noise

No comments:

Post a Comment