Sunday, January 12, 2014

My road travels part 1

I remember thinking one day I would go out west, but I was west and so I went east and then south.  I missed the vagabonding with my thumb ajar and going poor and cold.  Instead I hopped on this big fucking rocket ship out east to Texas to meet the warden in a cow field, except at this time he was not the warden, merely a keeper.  The keeper and I drove on the Texas back roads away from civilization into the dirt where I lost cell phone reception the further we went east.  As we went deep into the Bible belt dustbowl, I told of my wild ways previously and he knew of them and that I was proudly a stoner from Oregon just as he was with my father.  Reminiscing on months back where I filed my apartment with pot smoke and laughing and being merry.  Talking of my dealer escapades on the farm growing and he saw the correlation of blood with whom we were kindred spirits.  I say this with the naivety that someone could be a kindred spirit of mine, especially because he turned out to be the warden.  We shared troubles of law and women, he spoke of his criminality and how he became so tamed.  I swore in my mind I would never be like him, so quickly to take the poison of domestication.  We drove further still through Texas into the wilderness where the darkness makes us all alike.  In the darkness everything seems quieter especially as I nodded off in the passenger seat of this beat up old van dragging us across the country with a ticking time bomb strapped underneath us, bound to go off at any moment. In the inside the upholstery had been ripped and chewed on and the dashboard filled with the garbage that soon I would call home decor.  The back of the van filled to the wall with old sea faring objects of obsession, including 4 clams that were very heavy and I hated with all my heart.  The van bottomed out on every hole in the ground as we went moved along, I wondered if we would make it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment