Friday, May 16, 2014

Gabby

I arrived to the party and looked around the at the faces in this basement
A sofa next to a keg and filled with some snoody beer
I have grown to like
Working around others who like micro-brews
I sat down and time after time someone would sit next to me and I would get to know them
Time after time
I was present in each conversation
Present amongst my inebriation from beer and other things
I looked into their eyes and saw the torrential horrors that devastated their youth
The abuses
The mistreatments
The heartache
The pain and their suffering
I could see it all as their heart pounding against the walls of their chest
The echo pierced my ears
As I could hear their hearts beating
Everyone’s heart beat
As we sat their making human noise and indulging in the human experience
I could hear everything they had to say
I could see everything they were and would be
The greatness in their hearts and the flaws that marked them
Each scar and scab
Told me of their wounds in life
I could feel their voices with mine and I was lost in time
I would come to
After they had gotten up and walked away
Another would approach and sit
Except this one was different
Her name was gabby and we talked and talked all night
When the morning came she was sleeping quietly on my chest
I
Had a smile on my face so wide
For the human noise we made all night and the human experience we shared
I could hear her heart beating
Even as the room went dark
I could hear her heart beating


No comments:

Post a Comment